Thursday, March 23, 2006

Memoir of a Gun owner


Posted by Picasa


Incongruous as it may sound I am a gun owner. In fact I own several handguns as well as a short-barreled 12 gauge shotgun. I am proficient in handling, cleaning & shooting. These weapons are all registered and I have had owners & carry permit for over 25 years in two different states. I am so glad that this right is still with us.
I own these weapons not to hunt or collect but for self-defense.
I do not live in fear of getting attacked but I just want to be prepared for something that may be inevitable. Perhaps this insecurity stems from the fact I am a first generation American. For the most part America is safe, devoid of roving bands of people who wish to do others harm. Our civilian population has not had vast long-term devastation since the middle of the 19th Century, during the War Between the States. I know that violence does occur in some communities and a concern of mine is: “could this happen here”? If it does I wish not be a bystander who without a plan can easily become a victim.
My family of origin are holocaust victims and experienced the worst insecurity one can imagine because of this historical episode. Strangely enough they reacted by having no interest in gun ownership what so ever. They had faith in a system that they strongly believed would protect them. I too have that blind faith but sometimes fear that the system they believed in, is eroding. I want to be prepared to protect my family and myself. just in case we slide into chaos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being a fellow "ex-New Yorker" like yourself, you know that I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, as you mentioned, there are some communities where there are "bands of those roaming to do harm."

I'm sure you also know who I am (smile)!