Thursday, November 16, 2006

Bob Dylan














I am 55 years old and I have seen many of the great performers in my years and this is the first time that I attended a concert by Bob Dylan. I am a big fan of his recorded music but have yet to had the pleasure of seeing him perform live. I must say that I was not all disappointed by his show. I thought that his set was fine and that the musicians especially the drummer and guitarist were really good. Dylans voice was strong and the sound system was crystal clear so that I could all the lyrics. I enjoyed how Dylan switched melodies in many of his older songs so it required a few stanzas before you recognized them. That kept me guessing. I was surprised and wonder why Bob chose to exclusively play the keyboard. I was waiting for him to pick up an acoustic guitar. He did perform a wonderful version of "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol". "Cold Irons Bound" gave me chills. Observing the cross generational crowd of grandparents, parents, college students and even young tweens with their parents was a heartwarming tribute to the career of this American musical icon.The Racanteurs were also great offering some straight forward no holds barred Rock n Roll.
I was appalled at the high price of the souvenir tee shirts. Thirty five dollars was a bit over the top. I noted that there were people selling the same shirts outside of the show for half price. Not sure what was up with that.
Thanks to UMASS Amherst for offering the Mullins Center as a venue for this musical experience. An auspicious beginning to the Holiday season. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

No comments: